Review of Going in Style (2017)
Going in Style is a 2017 comedy film directed by Zach Braff and written by Theodore Melfi. The movie stars Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Alan Arkin as three elderly friends who decide to rob a bank after losing their pensions. In this review article, we will delve into the various aspects of this film and analyze its strengths and weaknesses.
Plot and Storyline
The film revolves around the lives of Joe, Willie, and Al, three retirees who have worked together for years and are struggling financially after their pensions are canceled. Faced with mounting bills and the realization that their families will suffer, they decide to take matters into their own hands by robbing a bank. The plot follows their hilarious and heartwarming journey as they plan, execute, and deal with the consequences of their heist.
Advantages of the Plot
- Engaging and relatable storyline that resonates with the audience.
- Combines comedy and drama, providing a well-rounded viewing experience.
- Showcases the importance of friendship and the lengths people will go to help each other.
Disadvantages of the Plot
- Somewhat predictable at times, with certain plot twists lacking originality.
- May not appeal to viewers who prefer more action-oriented films.
Acting and Performances
The performances in Going in Style are a highlight of the film, with the talented ensemble cast bringing their characters to life.
Advantages of the Acting
- Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Alan Arkin deliver outstanding performances, showcasing their chemistry and comedic timing.
- Supporting cast members, such as Ann-Margret and Christopher Lloyd, enhance the overall quality of the film with their acting skills.
- The emotions portrayed by the actors make the audience connect with the characters on a deeper level.
Disadvantages of the Acting
- Some critics argue that the performances rely too heavily on the charm of the actors, overshadowing the development of the characters.
- A few minor characters lack depth and could have been further explored.
Cinematography and Visuals
Going in Style presents visually pleasing scenes and cinematography that enhance the overall viewing experience.
Advantages of the Cinematography
- The film captures the essence of New York City, providing a vibrant and authentic setting for the story.
- Well-framed shots and camera angles contribute to the comedic and dramatic elements of the film.
Disadvantages of the Cinematography
- Some scenes lack visual creativity and rely heavily on conventional filming techniques.
- Occasional inconsistencies in lighting and color grading distract from the overall aesthetic.
Overall Impact and Reception
Going in Style received mixed reviews from both critics and audiences. While some praised the chemistry between the lead actors and the heartfelt storyline, others felt that the plot was too predictable and lacked originality. Overall, the film provides an entertaining and light-hearted experience, perfect for those looking for a feel-good comedy.
Pros and Cons of Going in Style (2017)
- Engaging and relatable storyline.
- Outstanding performances from Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, and Alan Arkin.
- Visually pleasing cinematography.
- Predictable plot twists.
- Lack of depth in some supporting characters.
- Inconsistencies in lighting and color grading.
|Starring||Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Alan Arkin|
|Genre||Comedy, Crime, Drama|
|Release Date||April 7, 2017|
|Running Time||96 minutes|
|Production Company||New Line Cinema|
Question and Answer Section
Q: Is Going in Style suitable for all age groups?
A: While the film is generally suitable for most age groups, parents should be aware that it contains some mild language and comedic violence.
Q: Can I expect a sequel to Going in Style?
A: As of now, there are no official plans for a sequel, but given the popularity of the film, it is always a possibility in the future.
Q: Where can I watch Going in Style?
A: Going in Style is available for streaming on platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime, and you can also find it on DVD and Blu-ray.
Q: Is Going in Style based on a true story?
A: No, the film is not based on a true story. It is a fictional comedy-drama that explores the lives of three retirees.
FIND This on Amazon – Going in Style (2017)